mmofacts.com

Addictive Factors

posted 15 years, 2 months ago by Deviant

Hello im Alen.I'm developing an rpg which i will be able to show in month or two.My question to you guys as developers would be Have you ever thought about the psychology of what makes a game addictive and more specifically on what and why do players get hooked on specific factors of the game itself.I myself am trying to figure out different addictive factors that make some games so popular and playable.

So what do you guys think personally what things are important that makes a player come back and what makes a player wanna come online every 20 min and check if anything is new :)

What i noticed personaly is that graphics plays a major role ,not so much for persistent rpg players but they tend to attract players that are not regular gamers.Sexy sells i guess in some way.There are a lot of other things i noticed i just wanted to hear your opinions first.

posted 15 years, 2 months ago by G-Projects

In my game (Bulletstar.cc - international version), i see that allot of people are getting addicted, and then i'm going to check.. hm, why? So i'd ask them..

It's just the game, options in it like doin' an armed robbery with some friends (Organised Crime), normal crimes, and killing other criminals.
The statistics make it complete! Everyone wants to be the best, or just in the top of the statistics.
And them on the dutch version, managing families, organising family wars, etc etc.
Make it real multiplayer (things that they can do together), but not all.. because there are allot of players who are just playing alone, and have no in-game friends.

Yes i've also noticed that, a factor to belong to a certain group and do something together and basicly socialize with other players.

I've studied Travian alot and i've noticed just that and whats addictive i think is the dynamic of the game couse so many thing are happening and so quick and people dont despair on losing becuse the game makes it possible for a player to get right back in the game(no one can really be to powerfull).

But one thing left me really puzzled when i discovered what an effect a simple thing as "a countdown timer" can do.For instance i had like 20 friends hooked on travian and when we were hanging out even at a party they were showing every sign of addictivity towards the game.Every 10 minutes someone wanted to use my friends computer to check if the building that was in progress was already build.So i personally think that the timer that counts down seconds psychologically effect you in a way that it makes you play the game more dynamically which makes it an addictive factor:) Anyway thats just my opinion couse i like to deconstruct why people react and do certain things :P Feel free to disagree :)

posted 15 years, 2 months ago by nucas

I think that strongest factor is domination. I mean being strongest, fastest, etc. Just being better than others is very strong feeling and I think it is the key for all massive multiplayer games.

Yes ofcourse thats the main thing with every rpg but i've seen and played 100+ gamesthat dont know how to balance the power so then you have players that are simply allways above the others and then players that are new lose this addictive factor (domination)

Thats why most games runs rounds. Every game has his "interest limit", if one game can hook players for year other can't even a week. And I believe that there is not much players who play 5 rounds of the same game even with all super-duper updates.

And if you as game creator will give players "toys" to over-run inactive top players, I think you will eliminate what "new-comer" disadvantage.

posted 15 years, 2 months ago by G-Projects

Original from nucas

"And I believe that there is not much players who play 5 rounds of the same game even with all super-duper updates."

Thats not true, i can confirm that .

i mean i played a lot of games that where based on rounds and i got feed up with them pretty quickly becuse it was such a f-ing routine nothing really changed and the main reason was that when you get the chance of buying turns you give advantage to some players who can afford that and then it just becomes stupid playing.Plus it defeats the purpose of a proper persistent rpg where the addictive factors atleast as i saw it where advancing levels,new equipment,new ranks(what persistence can a simple new rank icon give to play more - amazing),basicly just new things that progression of the game unlocks as a reward.

So what did you guys as gamers find that was pushing you towards playing a certain game was it domination(being the best),new things when gaining levels or just the socializing that was embeded in the game ?

Personally for me domination is not very strong factor, but it is a factor :D. I like games with flexible gaming systems, where you can explore, combine different tactics. For example in Street Racers you can combine car parts with different parameters and depending on track these combinations gives different results. I mean there is no the only best way to win. And these explorations of combinations, analyzing opponent part combinations and results is very exciting for me.

posted 15 years, 2 months ago by PaulSimon

Original from Deviant

Yes i've also noticed that, a factor to belong to a certain group and do something together and basicly socialize with other players.

That's definetely a good point to check.... Social relations in the net are more important every day!

Yap that why more and more games are being implemented into facebook and such which is a good idea because of the amount of people that are already there.

But i also agree with G-Project as he said that a player has to have a certain level of individuality becuse in psychological perspective an addictive rpg is addictive becuse you can change and better you personallity in the game.So you can be someone important,strong in a virtual life that a game creates.

I personally try to avoid addictivenes to such a level couse games like wow and second life and such are just wrong to me.

But as all these things play a major role in the game what little subcounscious details make the game differ and better of the other similar games.

What does make your game better than the other games that are the same? Or is your game tottaly unique ?

My question for all of you :)

My game is unique. If I am wrong, please point me the game, because I could not find any.

posted 15 years, 2 months ago by nicmo

Original from nucas

My game is unique. If I am wrong, please point me the game, because I could not find any.

www.bulletdrive.com ... not even your header is unique :)

Original from nicmo

Original from nucas

www.bulletdrive.com ... not even your header is unique :)

Did you play both? You are wrong :) Its different game, its real racing manager. It is good, but different kind of game.

your game is good but i must admit that open id login is a bit of a turn off  as far as registration goes i think you should offer both because some users might not login just becuse of the prolonged process of registration :P

Original from Deviant

your game is good but i must admit that open id login is a bit of a turn off  as far as registration goes i think you should offer both because some users might not login just becuse of the prolonged process of registration :P

I see. We had no problem on local version, but it is issue on international :(

posted 15 years, 2 months ago by docjay

I think the most important factor is that players will be able to meet other people and make friends. A nice and friendly community will help you to keep the players active and interested much more than the game itself.

Reply to this discussion