mmofacts.com

Groups: Which features do you miss most?

posted 16 years, 7 months ago by neit

The current progress of the groups feature is only the beginning. We have several extensions in mind which will be implemented in the next weeks. The question is, where should we start? I'm eager to hear your feedback. What do you miss most?

• Search
  • Newsfeeds
  • Themes
  • Customizable Layout
  • Notification
  • Polls
  • Chat
  • Other ideas?
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by bardicknowledge

English chat. 

Notifications

More active members ;) 

I really hope that the groups become more active. 

posted 16 years, 7 months ago by Apocalyptica
English chatPolls
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by docjay
  • group galleries
  • group guestbook
  • drag & drop objects on the group homepage
  • group events
Talking about the chat: it should be no problem to set up an Englisch-language irc-channel like we have in germany. But is that what you want? What network would you prefer?
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by Mooritz

A codepaste!  

Especially for the developers that would be great!

Moo

I have no preference over the network myself. I never use IRC except when I'm part of a clan/group that uses it. So whatever you guys think is best.  

Codepaste would be useful. 

posted 16 years, 7 months ago by plasticshore

When accessing a group you show the card and recent members first. I think it would be much more important to prominently feature the discussions happening in a group and the other details on the side... That way it becomes more enticing to join.

Also the group feature is somewhat hidden. Show most active groups right on the front, including what kind of activity happened last (see face book groups feature where they immediately show: how many new members, how many new topics)

I think that would help. 

What do you guys think about a facebook application? It could be used for the games and the groups. I'm picturing something like this (Don't be too hard on me, I'm not a designer^^):

posted 16 years, 7 months ago by plasticshore
facebook app. yay! I wan't one. Would use it, too.
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by Apocalyptica
Hehe yes, why not. Facebook Style ;)
this is something i know isn't forums but a notification when someone replies to articles. 

Allthough groups are our focus at the moment this sounds definetly interesting. We'll be busy implementing the groups for about a month or so but even after that we won't stop adding new features. So I put it on the list for later.

Why not founding a bardicknowledge fan group in the meantime? :)

*note for anyone that actually reads my articles* 

Post in the article comments if you like them.  I don't know if anyone *actually* reads them or just looks at it.  

They better do 'cause your articles are brilliant
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by Drezil

plaese display only the new posts of groups i am in on "mypage".

I got a list of 20 posts of groups i do not even wantedto know about.. ;)

posted 16 years, 6 months ago by docjay
any new ideas?^^
posted 16 years ago by Kallisti

- view unread messages of one arbitrary group

- mark all messages as read for one group and for all groups

- disable feature for this annoying rich text editor (I hate the paragraphs it does instead of newlines).

Those are definitely missing, or I just couldn't find them.

posted 16 years ago by Klaus_en
Original from Kallisti

- view unread messages of one arbitrary group

- mark all messages as read for one group and for all groups

- disable feature for this annoying rich text editor (I hate the paragraphs it does instead of newlines).

Those are definitely missing, or I just couldn't find them.

It's now possible to mark all threads as read.

I'm thinking about switching those paragraphs to breaks by default. But that's the "philosophy"...

http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/force_br_newline

There is no other option, because there is no BB-code. You have to write pure HTML, which is already possible.

- it would still be nice to allow "mark all as read" on a per group basis as well, and to have "view unread postings" on a per group basis too, indepedent of my dashboard

- and i would like an option to just disable the rich text editor... I do not really care if I have to write tags manually then or if it switches to a "normal" text editor, but this WYSIWYG shit is terrible... sorry. It usually destroys formatting more than helping because the final output is some weird result that does match the desired output. You can not fully control the result.

It's the same with (La)TeX vs Word (despite of printing formatting) - you have full control of the result and not some editor... If i mix several formattings and remove them later, how can i be sure, that i really removed them and there is no space that remained bold?

Well, "view html source" offers this, but it's not comfortable and so I would like to have a "no rich text editor" option, that allows direct text input without that fancy javascript stuff... I think most forum software offers that option as well. They also replace linefeets by html breaks in non-rte mode...

The paragraph stuff would be okay if it was at least consistent in itself... but it seems to be somehow context dependent as to where I put the newline. A line feet in front of a begging line counts as newline, while a line feet at the end of a line is counted as paragraph? That's not intuitive.

posted 16 years ago by neit

A short hint regarding the wysiwyg editor and paragraphs: Push Shift + Enter to insert a new line just like you would do in Word.

Original from neit

A short hint regarding the wysiwyg editor and paragraphs: Push Shift + Enter to insert a new line just like you would do in Word. 

I would like to be able to choose not to use Word or something similar at all...

And come on... you can't tell me that you expect your users to know that they can use "shift + enter" to fill in newlines. I did not even know that it works that way in Word, because I usually prefer plain text editors.

I can understand the basic idea of the paragraph thing, but it just fails in practice and due to its current state of implementation. A newline at the beginning of a line should lead to a paragraph as well then and real newlines should only exist if enforced by shift+enter, but not by context dependency.

Another good example: if you quote someone, you have to close the quoting before you can start writing. Newlines just extend the quoting area. It's not intuitive. And it does not make sense, because you should not modify quoted content, except for trimming it to a shorter version.

So either please fix all flaws of the current implementation or please allow a non-rich-text editor component alternatively, selected in the user profile. I'd be glad to see both variants supported.

Reply to this discussion