mmofacts.com

In-game forums++

posted 16 years, 10 months ago by RangerSheck
One of my biggest pet-peeves is when someone builds a game from scratch and then tosses up phpBB (or some other pre-existing forum). The bigger offense is when they make me register a different account because they didn't bother to figure out a way to connect the forum's user table to their game's user table.

In Pioneers of Aethora I also use an in-game forum. I toyed with the idea of using existing forum software, but then I scolded myself for being lazy and when with an in-game solution, knowing at some point I would like to integrate it into the game in a way that's more than just chatting.

I like your points idea. I don't think I would implement it quite that way, but it's definitely got some gears turnin' in my noggin'.
posted 16 years, 10 months ago by bardicknowledge
I'm glad I was able to get you thinking. I don't expect everything to agree with my thoughts and that's great with me. If we all thought the same way about things there would be no innovation on the net.

And where we are in a field where our differences are what makes us stand out, we need to disagree. So I say things that *may* (but i know they really do) sound crazy, but if it is what gets people thinking, or developing in a new unique way, my job is done ^_^
posted 16 years, 10 months ago by docjay
hey! I was gonna say the exact same thing :-)
I hate that but even the big browser games like Travian or Tribal-Wars do it... Why can't they build in-game forums where you don't have to register and choose a username and all that stupid stuff AGAIN!

Great artice btw... as always ;-)
thanks ^_^
the separate forum thing has always driven me crazy so i figured i would share

Reply to this discussion