mmofacts.com

Payment

posted 16 years, 7 months ago by neit

A quite interesting discussion we have over in the german forum is dealing with payment. To get some life in here I decided to start a similiar topic here. Let me summarize the opinions I gathered during variaous talks with developers during my visit to the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany two weeks ago:

• Payment via phone / mobile payment: Easy to use and attractive to players but providers rise very high provisions ... :(
  • Debit payment: A solution some german developers are very happy with is debit payment (the money gets transfered from the players to the developers bank account on request of the developer). It's quite cheap (about 10 Ct. per transaction) and you can easily transfer data back and forth via online interface of your local bank. You don't have to pay any provisions to third persons.
  • Payment cards especially for online paymnet (paysafecard, etc): Companies like paysafecard have established a broad network of resellers in europe. You buy a paysafecard e.g. at a gas station. It comes with a pin which you can use for instant online transactions. Provisions are quite low. Keep an eye on it!
  • Bank transfer: Nobody uses it even in germany where it's quite popular for business.
  • Credit Card: Very Easy, low provisions. Not many players (especially young people) have one but situation is getting better.
  • Paypal: Very versatile, easy to use. The model of adding a variable provision to a basic charge makes it unsuitable for small amounts.
  • Full Service: too expensive (about 35%!!!)
Of course this opinions apply mainly to the german market and even inside europe the players attitude to payment varies a lot. I can only imagine what the situation is on such an international community like the english-speaking market. I'm keen on your experiences!
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by plasticshore
Hah. I do not have much to contribute to the discussion yet, but your post is a really good read! Very informative! ... We'll be doing credit cards first (good with American market), then paypal, then ...?
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by docjay

I'd say PayPal is the easiest thing to setup and the costs are OK (unless youre selling single credits).

The best payment option from the player's point of view varies from country to country. I experienced that people in the US and the UK prefer credit or debit card systems whereas on the continent the most motivating payment system is Pay By Phone or Pay by SMS/text.
What do you guys think?

I included a poll, so feel free to vote and do the same if you start a topic.
posted 16 years, 7 months ago by bardicknowledge

I actually will only donate to a site if that take paypal. There is no chance in hell I am giving someone my credit card number. With paypal I at least have a secure wall between me and you're system to take my monies. lol

But thats just me.

PayPal is def. a good way of paying things online. It's free (as long as you pay), easy and most important: it's safe!
posted 16 years, 6 months ago by plasticshore

We have just launched our payment system (working with Spreedly.com). Initial options are major credit cards but Paypal will follow withing the next few days. So far the take up has been excellent. Looking forward to how Paypal will impact on the sales.

posted 16 years, 6 months ago by docjay
Congratz! The system looks good and easy to understand.
posted 16 years, 3 months ago by vampraist

We currently offer paypal which provides an automated process for our subscriptions and token payments.

Certainly looking at alternate payment methods though finding a cost effective one is difficult, the likes of world pay have fairly high overheads - any suggestions? 

posted 16 years, 2 months ago by docjay

You might wanna check out Spreedly or Micropayment. Both solutions are supposed to be running quite smoothly and rather cheap.

posted 16 years, 1 month ago by BasTijs_en
I'm not using a payment system yet because im still in alpha. For me it depends on which language im gonna release the game first (dutch or english). For holland I heard some good stories about targetpay and mollie, I think they offer a range of option including sms/phone/banktransfer etc. In holland we have a system called IDEAL, all dutch banks are connected to this so people can pay in a few minutes using internet banking using this IDEAL system. Im not sure yet which payment provider ill choose for the english version of my game.
posted 15 years, 3 months ago by G-Projects

Players can pay with these methods at our games:
- IVR (Phone)
- SMS
- iDEAL
- Wallie card
- Creditcard (soon)
- FasterPay (soon)

posted 15 years, 3 months ago by BasTijs_en

Phone (daopay)

Paypal (most people use this, also best profit/low costs)

Ideal (netherlands only, by mollie.nl)

Wallie (mollie.nl)

posted 15 years, 3 months ago by Ewo

We only use PayPal.

Its most secure for both sides plus its automated.

Original from G-Projects

Players can pay with these methods at our games:
- IVR (Phone)
- SMS
- iDEAL
- Wallie card
- Creditcard (soon)
- FasterPay (soon)

Thanks to Bas, i'm also gonna use PayPal next month :).

posted 15 years, 3 months ago by docjay

Congratz! Nearly all the projects I consult feature PayPal and it is always the most used payment gateway.

Original from docjay

Congratz! Nearly all the projects I consult feature PayPal and it is always the most used payment gateway.

Thanks, i hope that many people will use it, because all the money that comes in through PayPal, i'm directly investing into advertisements :)

posted 15 years, 3 months ago by BasTijs_en

Already got it working?

Original from BasTijs

Already got it working?

Jups, got it working :).

Reply to this discussion